It's the season of mangoes and this is one fruit that can be consumed in as many forms as possible. This recipe is quite a common one in most households especially in the summers and is made of raw mangoes. Aam ka panna is also a coolant for the body and having a glass of it after a day in the sun can be very refreshing.
1. Raw mango- 2
2. sugar - 250 gms
3. salt - 2 tsp
4. jeera pwd -1 tsp (cumin)
5. elaichi pwd - 1tsp (cardamom)
1. Wash the mangoes well and put the whole mango into a pan with just enough water to cover them.
2. let the mango cook for about 10 minutes. the green colour of the skin should have changed to a yellowish green colour.
3. turn off the flame , drain the water and let the mangoes cool.
4. peel the skin off and squeeze the pulp into a container. You may grind it in the mixer to ensure smooth consistency.
5. in a separate pan, pour about a cup of the drained water, 250 gms of sugar, 2 tsp of salt, jeera and elaichi powder. once the sugar is dissoved add the mango pulp and heat till it bubbles.
6. let it cool and store the concentrate in a clean bottle and refrigerate.
The juice can be made by adding one part of concentrate to 4 parts of cold water.
1. Raw mango: is very low in Saturated fat, Cholesterol and Sodium.
It is also a good source of Dietary fiber and Vit B6, Vit A and Vit C.
The Panna keeps your body cool and protects you from heat strokes.
2. Jeera : helps in strengthening our disgestive system, circulatory system and balance our tri- doshas- vata, pitta and kapha.
It contains good antiseptic properties that fights common cold and infection. Jeera is also rich in Vit E and iron.
(image and nutritional data courtesy: google)